Thursday, July 21, 2016

Final LS Boss

Since the PPK boss for the final Light Side Force mission has proved so problematic, I've decided I should post on this issue. First, you should watch this informative YouTube video, if you haven't already. The player is using the following abilities: Hold Out Blaster (HoB), Snare, Sticky Bomb, and Intimidate. These are necessary:


The technique this player uses is called "kiting" -- like flying a kite, you run ahead of your opponent to make them follow you. Mastering this technique is key, since you'll use it on many missions after this one. That said, the other technique used to great effect is leading an enemy (or enemies) into a "choke point," which usually is a narrow passage that acts like a funnel. For example, in the video the player sets his first snare at a choke point by the stairs, around which PPK cannot move. Thus, PPK runs directly into the snare, unable to evade it. Again, these two techniques are worth mastering, since you'll use them again in the future. And you'll have to become proficient with them to beat PPK, first and foremost.

The video gives us a rough sketch of what to do. Doing it yourself, in real time, is tricky. So, my first piece of advice: Clear the entire map of enemy droids, but DO NOT attack PPK. Once you've cleared the map, you're free to run around and experiment with kiting and timing how you set snares at choke points.

I didn't follow the above video to the letter. After practicing my timing through several runs, including the difficult turn around at the beginning of the map, I decided my own sense of timing worked best by using the following map area as my first choke point:


While I obviously took this screen shot on a different mission, the map is identical. I set my first snare and sticky bomb at the top of the stairs, right where my character is standing. Once set, PPK will run directly into it. I post about the first choke point because it is the most crucial, since the timing of the rest of the mission depends on the first choke point. 

The next step is to position yourself correctly, lying in wait for PPK to set off the snare. The following pics are courtesy of Winter Vos, who had the smarts (unlike me) to take screen shots while practicing his timing:



In the second pic, Winter positions himself to wait for PPK at a distance. This is key: Always keep your distance from PPK. While you yourself can time how long it takes for the snare to spring, I recall firing HoB for 5 seconds exactly where Winter is standing. I then retreated to the next choke point, all the while keeping an eye on the cooldown rate of Snare Trap and Sticky Bomb, which you can clearly see in the top left hand corner of picture 2. Sticky is at 16.1 and Snare at 13.9. This is important because you need to sync cooldown rates with your arrival at choke points. 

Once I had my timing down, I was ready to catch PPK's attention. Unlike the player in the video, I quickly shot at PPK, then ran to my first choke point. I didn't stick around for anything! Anything other than PPK noticing me, that is.

After this first choke point, I did follow the video, practically to the letter. I would, however, like to discuss the difficult turn around at the beginning of the map. Again, let's thank Winter for emailing me the screenshot:



It's worth noting the cooldown rates. There's a 2 second difference, which is comparable to the cooldown rates I noted above. Again, keep an eye on these.

You'll also note that the snare and sticky bomb are positioned perfectly at the top of the stairs. And that, more to the point, Winter is positioned the exact same distance away from the snare as he was for the first choke point -- you can tell by counting the concrete slabs on the ground. He's 4 slabs away on both. Try to get a feel for this distance, since it's fairly optimal.

Now, for the turn around. Once you've kited PPK back to this point and he's snared, feel free to shoot for at least 5 seconds. Then retreat as you normally would, to the base of the stairs -- this will draw PPK into the staging area. Once he's on the loose and finally running towards you, use Intimidate and fire HoB again. I did this for approximately 3 seconds, then headed for the top of the stairs. I set the Snare and Sticky Bomb combo yet again, without being rushed, then kited PPK to the next choke point.

From this turn around, it's rinse and repeat. Again, timing is EVERYTHING on this mission. And I can't stress enough how practicing on an empty map helps tremendously.

1 comment:

  1. Finally toppled this GOD BOT thanks for the help and support Zoj -Nura

    ReplyDelete