Saturday, July 30, 2016

5M-Sec Droid & Disruption Grenade

Even more frustrating and time consuming than the PPK Boss on the final Light Side Force Mission is this guy, who shows up just before the final Lightsaber Mission:

This boss needs to get fired.

The 5M-Sec Boss is a real jerk. And a deadly one at that. More to the point, this boss is shielded, which requires the use of the Disruption Grenade ability, available only in Holo crates. There are two issues I'd like to address. First the DG, & then I'd like to offer a few tips on fighting 5M-Sec.

Like all other abilities, DG comes in three ranks. I found DG Rank 1 well before I knew what to do with it, other than use it on Bespin guards, that is. Since DG drops randomly from the 30, 100, and 300 Holo crates, it can sometimes prove elusive, as this forum thread flatly demonstrates. In fact, if you dig into the forums, you'll find many other threads about DG drops or, rather, the lack thereof.

My suggestion is to weigh in. Let Kabam know in the forums that you're spending TONS of Holos on crates to find this random item. I don't even need DG & I'm furious about this.

Imo, the easiest solution is for Kabam to simply get rid of the shield on the 5M-Sec Boss, since this droid is extremely difficult to beat, even without a shield, & especially without the ability for players to revive using chromium. Leave your Ion Wave ability at home, too, since that doesn't work against 5M-Sec at all.

That said, how does one beat this Boss?

I tried a number of different tactics. When I first encountered 5M-Sec, I asked Global Chat for advice. The reply was "Run around a lot." So much for that. This big guy murdered me right out of the gate on the first go &, since the map where you face the droid is arena-style, you can't kite. So what's a poor Zoj to do?

The first thing I noticed about 5M-Sec was that it was huge. I also realized right away that, importantly, Ion Wave didn't work. What's more, I noticed that there was only one Bacta station available to me. Possibly the most important observation I made during my first encounter was that I could hide underneath the droid & that, moreover, if 5M-Sec was far enough away, its 360 degree spinning laser didn't hit me.

In the end, I beat this boss using a variation on the kiting technique. The abilities I used were exactly the same as those for the PPK LS Boss. Yes, I regularly snared this big guy in its tracks. And if you use Snare Trap 3, you'll do damage, too.

Of course, I'm sure other ability sets will work. My tactic for this mission was to control the narrative, which is as much to say that the more control you have over your enemy, the easier it is to survive and, ultimately, to win. Snare Trap & Intimidate worked well for me in this way. In fact, they work well together in an arena setting generally.

So, here's a list of tips for beating this monster:


  • Kite 5M-Sec by constantly moving around the edges of the arena.
  • Stay as far away as you can. Use Snare Trap & run if 5M-Sec gets too close.
  • Timing the use of DG & HoB is key. 
  • The Intimidate ability works well. You can do a lot of damage with HoB.
  • Patience. It takes a long time to shoot down this Boss.
  • In a pinch, you can hide underneath 5M-Sec. I don't recommend doing so often.
  • Use the Bacta station when you've reached 1/2 health for a needed bump. 

Not only is 5M-Sec shielded, but it is also impervious to Ion Wave, as I mention above. On the plus side, this Boss is big, clumsy, and slow moving. Use its weaknesses to your advantage. And, I can't stress this enough, stay as far away as possible at all times. HoB has great range. Use it.

If you have any other tips, tricks, or advice about beating this Boss, drop me a line. Good hunting!

5 comments:

  1. Zoj, here's the feedback ticket I submitted:

    "Please review the difficulty level Of the Security droid boss. Aside from the already publicised Disruption Grenade random drop issue, query why the security droid requires a shield at all. It has a massive number of hit points and takes minimal damage per second and is significantly overpowered, especially given Kabam has chosen to remove the option of reviving for chromium. Could you please review?"

    Let's see how Kabam responds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoj, here's the reply from Kabam. I'm still hopeful, but it looks a lot like a form email to me...

    "Hi,

    Thanks for writing into Kabam Customer Support.

    My name is Chris and I would be happy to assist you today. I was reading through your ticket and see you are concerned with the difficulty of the Level 97 Boss. While I am not aware of any issues with this NPC, I understand you are experiencing issues with it during the mission run. My apologies for any disappointment this may have caused you.

    I have taken the liberty of submitting your feedback to the Game Team for review. They always appreciate all player feedback, both positive and negative. They often use this information to evaluate potential changes to future updates and for game improvements.

    I would also like to encourage you to take some time to publicly voice your concerns to the Game Team on the Star Wars: Uprising forums. They can be found on the link below.

    http://community.kabam.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?1324-Suggestions-amp-Feedback

    Thank you for taking time to express these concerns to us. If you have any new concerns or questions, please create a new ticket. We would be happy to assist you. Have a good day!

    Kind Regards, "


    NB. I followed up with an email asking that Kabam at least allow revives if they are going to perpetuate such a crazy imbalance. I'll let you know if I get a further response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoj, below is Kabam's reply to my request to reinstate revives:

    "Hello,

    Thanks for getting back to me with your additional concerns on the Level 97 Boss difficulty. I understand this is an extremely challenging NPC. My apologies for any frustration this may have caused you. Your additional feedback about adding back to the ability to Revive in missions has also been submitted to the Game Team for review.

    I appreciate you reaching back out to us with that. If you have any new concerns or questions, please create a new ticket. We would be happy to assist you. Have a good day!

    Kind Regards, "

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add insult to injury, uprising crashes just as I'm 1 HOB blast away from defeating SM5 with 8,000 health. Kabam sure knows how to look after its players...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt they change squat, people complained about PPK and they only made him more difficult. Either way can't wait to test these tips! -NURA

    ReplyDelete